Lisa Mellman, M.D.
Clinical Professor of Psychiatry
Senior Associate Dean for Student Affairs,
Columbia University College of Physicians & Surgeons
Lisa A. Mellman, M.D. is Clinical Professor of Psychiatry and Senior Associate Dean for Student Affairs at Columbia University College of Physicians & Surgeons.
She received her undergraduate degree from the University of Colorado, her medical degree from Case Western Reserve University and completed her psychiatry residency at Columbia Presbyterian Medical Center/New York State Psychiatric Institute where she was Chief Resident. Dr. Mellman completed her psychoanalytic training at the Columbia University Center for Psychoanalytic Training and Research.
A national leader in psychiatric and medical education, Dr. Mellman is Past President of the American Association of Directors of Psychiatry Residency Training and chaired task forces and committees on psychiatric education and psychotherapy competency for the American Psychiatric Association and the American Association of Directors of Psychiatry Residency Training. She also chaired the Fellowship Program of the American Psychoanalytic Association. She is a Distinguished Fellow of the American Psychiatric Association. In her former positions directing clinical services and as a residency training director, Dr. Mellman developed new clinical and teaching programs in psychiatry.
Dr. Mellman has received awards for clinical excellence, Teacher of the Year, and for contributions to psychoanalysis. Her publications and presentations are on psychiatric and medical education, psychotherapy training and competencies, workforce, pregnancy of the therapist, cultural competency, and consequences of violence. She treats patients with problems including depression, anxiety, adjustment and relationship problems.
Undergraduate: University. of Colorado, B.A., 1976
Medical School: Case Western Reserve University., M.D., 1981
Internship: Mt. Sinai Medical Center., Medical, 1981 - 1982
Residency: New York State Psychiatric Institute Columbia University., Psychiatry, 1982 - 1985
Post-Graduate: Columbia Center for Psychoanalytic Training and Research, Psychoanalysis, 1985-1991
Board Certifications: American Board of Psychiatry and Neurology
Subspeciality Certifications: Certification by the American Psychoanalytic Association
• adult psychiatry
P & S
Room 3-401 Unit/Box:
630 West 168th St.
New York, NY 10032
1. Mellman L, Beresin E.: Psychotherapy Competencies: Development and Implementation. Academic Psychiatry 2003;27(3): 149-53
1. Tinsley J, Mellman L: Patient Reactions to a psychiatrist’s pregnancy. American Journal of Psychiatry 2003;160(1): 27-31
1. Macaulay W, Mellman LA, Quest DO, Nichols GL, Haddad J Jr, Puchner PJ: The advisory dean program: a personalized approach to academic and career advising for medical students. Academic Medicine 2007;82(7): 718-722
1. Mellman L: Cultivating careers in the American Association of Directors of Psychiatric Residency Training. Academic Psychiatry 2007;31(2): 101-102
1. Mellman, L: The Consequences of Violence against Women, Scientific American, , USA, 2000