Sandra Pimentel, Ph.D.
Assistant Professor of Clinical Psychology (in Psychiatry)
Associate Director, Columbia University Clinic for Anxiety and Related Disorders (CUCARD),
Dr. Sandra Pimentel is an Assistant Professor of Clinical Psychology (in Psychiatry) at Columbia University-New York State Psychiatric Institute and Associate Director and Senior Clinical Psychologist at the Columbia University Clinic for Anxiety and Related Disorders.
Dr. Pimentel received her Ph.D. in Clinical Psychology from Temple University in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, where she was awarded a Faculty Commendation for Excellence in 2000. Following her predoctoral internship at Bellevue Hospital Center/ New York University Child Study Center, Dr. Pimentel completed a NIMH-sponsored Postdoctoral Research Fellowship in the Division of Child and Adolescent Psychiatry at Columbia University.
Dr. Pimentel’s research interests broadly include the assessment and treatment of childhood anxiety disorders. More specifically, she has focused on the dissemination of evidenced-based interventions for child and adolescent disorders and the evaluation of the most effective strategies for training and transporting treatments to school and community settings. Dr. Pimentel has conducted multiple trainings on the cognitive-behavioral treatment (CBT) of anxiety and depression in youth for various projects and has served as a CBT consultant for school-based clinicians throughout New York State.
Dr. Pimentel is currently a consultant with the New York State Office of Mental Health’s statewide clinician training initiative and was named a 2007-2008 New York State Office of Mental Health Policy Scholar.
Dr. Pimentel is actively involved in several professional organizations, including the Association for Behavioral and Cognitive Therapies and the Anxiety Disorders Association of America
Please click here to listen to my BlogTalk Radio Show, Three in the Bed: Anxious Children and Sleep
Undergraduate: Drew University, B.A., 1991-1995
Graduate: Boston University, M.A., 1996-1997
Medical School: Temple University, Ph.D., 1998-2004
Internship: Bellevue Hospital Center/NYU Child Study Center, 2003-2004
Fellowship: Columbia University Division of Child and Adolescent Psychiatry, 2004-2007
• Anxiety and mood disorders
• Child clinical psychology
• Cognitive-Behavioral Therapy
Dissemination of evidenced-based treatments for children and adolescents; training in cognitive-behvioral therapy
1. Comer J, Kendall P, Franklin M, Hudson J, Pimentel SS : Obsessing/worrying About the Overlap Between Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder and Generalized Anxiety Disorder in Youth. Clinical Psychology Review 2004;24: 663-683
2. Choudhury MS, Pimentel SS, Kendall PC: Parent-child Agreement For Diagnosis of Anxiety Disorders Based on Structured Clinical Interview. Journal of the American Academy of Child and Adolescent Psychiatry 2003;42: 957-964
3. Kendall PC, Pimentel SS: On the Physiological Symptom Constellation in Youth With Generalized Anxiety Disorder (GAD). Journal of Anxiety Disorders 2003;17: 211-221
4. Kendall PC, Hudson JL, Choudhury M, Webb A, Pimentel SS: Cognitive-behavioral treatment for childhood anxiety disorders. In E. D. Hibbs & P. S. Jensen (Eds.), Psychosocial treatments for child and adolescent disorders: Empirically based strategies for private practice (2nd ed.), American Psychological Association, Washington, DC, 2005
5. Kendall PC, Pimentel SS, Rynn M, Angelosante A, Webb A: Generalized anxiety disorders in children and adolescents. In T. Ollendick & J. March (Eds.), Phobic and anxiety disorders in children and adolescents: A clinicians guide to effective psychosocial and pharmacological interventions (2nd ed.), Oxford University Press, New York, NY, 2004